Just about everyone makes at least one new year resolution. I am famous for making resolutions and not keeping them. But this year I have made a resolution that is so easy all of you can do it. Create new adventures! This year I want to challenge everyone to spend more time outside trying new things and visiting new places.
In 2013, I am going to spend more time away from the hustle of everyday life and create new adventures outside. For me, a good hike can cure the body and soul. There are not many things that are more calming and peaceful than a hike on a secluded trail.
So this year, my new adventures will focus on visiting new parks and trails I have never been to before. As you start developing your own new adventures here are some of my tips for any beginner hiker:
- Wear the correct clothing. There is nothing worse than getting half way through a hike and realize you are getting a blister from your shoes or you jacket is not keeping your warm
- Know your physical limitations. Start slow and short and increase your mileage as you get more active.
- Tell someone where you are headed. Even if you are going out for a short trip, someone should know which trail you’re on. Consider taking a partner if you’re headed somewhere more isolated.
- Don’t start a hike late in the day. Always allow yourself more time to finish a trail than you actually think it will take.
- Bring the right equipment. This goes along with the correct clothing. Having the right gear with you can turn a life or death circumstance into a manageable situation. Some basic gear you should have is:
- Good backpack
- Fire starter
- Basic medical kit